Sunday, December 6, 2009

(Sort of) Baked Eggs



I love eating baked eggs. The possibilities are endless! I like them with cheese, onions, veggies, mushrooms... or Mexican style with black beans, jack, salsa. It's funny because I never used to like breakfast that much, until my boyfriend (who firmly believes that breakfast is the most important meal of the day) showed me all the yummy egg breakfast combos. I used to hate runny yolks, but now I like them to a degree. I still can't stand sunny-side up yolks, but I can deal with over medium. Baby steps...

Anyway, so baked eggs. Baking is decidedly healthier than frying, but I can't justify heating up an oven in the morning for my one or two lonely baked eggs. I experimented with a quick and easy, although somewhat sacrilegious method this morning.



I sprayed a microwave-proof bowl with cooking spray. In the bottom of the bowl, I layered a big slice of turkey, some spinach leaves, a slice of pepper jack, baby spinach, and diced onions. Then I cracked two eggs, and added a little seasoning salt. I stuck it in the microwave for a few minutes, slid the eggs out on a plate, and ate with salsa and toast. How's that for an easy breakfast? The clean-up was easier than fried eggs or an omelet, too.






Baked (Microwaved) Eggs

Ingredients:
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • Turkey
  • Baby spinach
  • Cheese
  • Eggs
  • Onions
  • Seasoned salt
  • Salsa (optional)
  1. In a microwave-safe bowl, layer turkey, spinach, cheese, onions, and two raw eggs. Sprinkle with seasoning salt.
  2. Cover with a paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, about 1 minute total depending on your microwave.
  3. Slide out on a plate, cover with salsa and eat with toast.


Yum.




11 comments:

  1. Thank you. This was exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cat. This photie has them looking evenly cooked and delicious. How do you prevent uneven cooking? seems every time I attempt whole eggs in the micky, the eggs are rubber underneath and snot on top :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks delicious, i can't wait to try this after a workout! may i substitute chicken for turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing and quick. One suggestion you should mention that you need to poke holes in the yolks or they will explode in the microwave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you keep the whole eggs from exploding?

      Delete
  5. Just tried this & it was perfect. Only microwaved the egg, didn't have anything else with it. Got a small bowl, sprayed with Fry Light, cracked egg into it, sprayed again (top of the egg) with Fry Light, covered with cling film, poked holes in the cling film, microwaved on high (only 750 watt microwave though) for 20 seconds and it came out perfect. This is so convenient thank you for sharing. When cooking it did sounds as if it would explode but after 20 seconds it was cooked, no explosions, no snotty texture on the egg and a lovely runny yolk with a slight white film over the top which I was very impressed with as I've gone off sunny side up just lately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I substituted morning star veggie bacon and daiya vegan pepper jack cheese...yummy and easy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tried this plain and it was quick and easy to make. I put it on top of a chicken pot pie. Delicious. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just tried this plain and it was quick and easy to make. I put it on top of a chicken pot pie. Delicious. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete